The new edition of the excellent introduction to basic concepts and instrumentation of nuclear medicine, featuring numerous high-quality illustrations and practical examples
Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Physics, Instrumentation, and Radiation Biology provides a concise, highly illustrated introduction to fundamental nuclear medicine-related physics and engineering concepts. Gradually progressing from basic principles to more advanced topics, this book offers clear guidance on basic physics related to nuclear medicine, gamma camera imaging and image reconstruction, x-ray computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, radiopharmaceutic therapy, radiation dosimetry and safety, quality control, information technology, and more. Throughout the text, a wealth of examples illustrate the practice of nuclear medicine in the real world.
This new fourth edition features fully revised content throughout, including brand-new chapters on basic MRI physics and instrumentation as well as radiopharmaceutical therapy. There are expanded discussions of current nuclear medicine technologies including positron emission tomography (PET) and single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), as well as up-to-date coverage of SPECT-CT, PET-CT hybrid scanning systems with an introduction to PET-MRI hybrid systems. Essential reading for anyone entering the field of nuclear medicine, this book:
- Contains introductory chapters on relevant atomic structure, methods of radionuclide production, and the interaction of radiation with matter
- Describes the basic function of the components of scintillation and non-scintillation detectors
- Details image acquisition and processing for planar and SPECT gamma cameras and PET scanners, and introduces acquisition and processing for CT and MRI scanners
- Discusses digital imaging and communications in medicine (DICOM) and picture archiving and communication systems (PACs)
- Includes a new chapter on radiopharmaceutical theranostics imaging and therapy
- Includes new coverage of quality control procedures and updated chapters on radiation safety practices, radiation biology, and management of radiation accident victims
Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Physics, Instrumentation, and Radiation Biology is a must-have for all residents, fellows, trainees, and students in nuclear medicine, and a valuable quick-reference for radiologists and nuclear medicine physicians and technologists.