Presents best practices for faculty and administrators developing globally-connected courses, including learning objectives, collaborative assignments, and logistical planning
As political instability, pandemic risks, rising costs, new requirements for experiential learning, and other factors make it increasingly difficult for students to study abroad, there is growing interest in globalizing and internationalizing the curricula of colleges and universities worldwide. The Wiley Handbook of Collaborative Online Learning and Global Engagement is designed to help educators develop and conduct high-impact, globally-connected courses across the humanities, the fine arts, and the social and natural sciences.
This comprehensive guide covers collaborative practices, course design variables, student learning approaches, logistical planning, and more. An international team of contributors from diverse geographic, cultural, and academic backgrounds offer insight into enhancing pedagogical practice, coordinating study abroad experiences, and promoting both students' and faculty's global competencies. Throughout the text, numerous real-world case studies, interactive and experiential assignments, sample syllabi, course bibliographies, and links to web and media resources reinforce best practices for course design, learning objectives, and pedagogy development. Based on a detailed assessment of 500 students in collaborative courses across 14 countries, this innovative guide:
- Covers co-development of learning objectives across different courses, disciplines and cultural contexts, co-coordination of course content, technology, and resources, and intercultural learning assessment
- Explores new and innovative ways to engage students in distant locations in collaborative learning
- Provides advice for overcoming logistical challenges, managing group dynamics, controlling costs, and implementing connected courses with limited resources
- Discusses the impact globally-connected courses have on cultural curiosity, knowledge, strategy, and behavior
- Offers approaches for addressing cultural transgressions and miscommunication, and for collaborating with other faculty members across cultures and educational systems
Featuring multiple cultural perspectives and international contexts, The Wiley Handbook of Collaborative Online Learning and Global Engagement is a valuable guide and reference for faculty and administrators involved in teaching, planning, implementing, or assessing courses with global learning outcomes.