Covering both the scientific basis of rheumatology and practical, clinical information for rheumatologists and trainees, Rheumatology, 8th Edition, remains a leading text in this fast-changing field. Dr. Marc Hochberg and his team of worldwide editors and authors keep you abreast of recent advances in the field— all in a user-friendly, accessible manner. Fully updated from cover to cover, this two-volume text is designed to meet the needs of all practicing and academic rheumatologists as well as arthritis-related health care professionals and scientists interested in rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
- Covers the epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, therapeutic approach, and management of all major as well as rarely encountered rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
- Discusses clinical examination, imaging principles, differential diagnosis, established and novel therapies, perioperative evaluation, pain management, basic science, and genetics of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.
- Uses a consistent, logical, reader-friendly format with templated chapters, concise text, and large-scale, state-of-the-art illustrations for efficient visual reference.
- Contains new chapters covering pre-clinical disease and how to address these patients, common comorbidities in rheumatoid arthritis; emerging therapies for systemic sclerosis; immune mediated complications of checkpoint inhibitors; the epidemiology of COVID-19 and rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases, emerging treatments for osteoarthritis, and big data analytics.
- Provides updates to key topics such as systems biology and its impact on our understanding of the pathogenesis of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases, the microbiome in rheumatic musculoskeletal diseases, how to manage chronic pain in the patient with a rheumatic disease, drugs and reproductive health, and emerging therapies for patients with RA, SLE, spondyloarthritis, inflammatory muscle disease, and vasculitis.
- Shares the knowledge and expertise of numerous new contributing authors, as well as new co-editor Dr. Désirée van der Heijde, who is an expert in psoriatic arthritis, spondyloarthritis, imaging, and clinical epidemiology.